Saturday, August 09, 2014

Antarctic blogs, Hurrah!

The news that a British Antarctic station lost its power this week leads to yet another cool photo or two of futuristic architecture, which I always like to see:


Happily, it has also led me to a few blogs being run by people down there at the moment.  (I have previously tried to find blogs that have a reasonable post rate from down that way, but it seems a combination of their relatively poor internet accessibility and busy-ness means they don't spend much time blogging.)  But Anthony Lister's blog has links to some other Antarctic blogs, and that makes me happy.

Lister (I wonder if he gets sick of people telling him he reminds them of Red Dwarf?) writes rather charmingly of the power down:
I don’t really want to add any detail about what has happened down here (it’s nowt exciting honest!) but would just like to reiterate that we are all healthy, in good spirits and are busy setting about getting, and keeping the station in as good an order as possible. No-one here on station is responsible for the technical issues we are having and we are all working extremely hard.

Tea making facilities are still going strong.

On a happier note, despite the difficulties I really am still loving the place. Having made mention of how Antarctica can take things to another level just when you think you have seen something truly beautiful, well, I’ll have to say it once again. To prove that every cloud has a silver lining Halley, during the time without any power, was the clearest I have ever seen. This, coinciding with the loss of the small amount of light pollution we have, made the night-sky of the power-down the most beautiful I have ever seen – or probably ever will. the whole galaxy in its majesty, brighter than ever – going outside was almost a religious experience!
 He has good photos at his blog too:




Beautiful.

I think my blog roll needs to add him...

No comments: