Tuesday, August 19, 2014

It made sense...

Stop Making Sense 30th anniversary: David Byrne and Jonathan Demme talk about how the movie got made (VIDEO).

Yay.  Slate has a short story up about the 30th anniversary of Stop Making Sense, with a couple of videos.

I'll post this one:



because it illustrates how David Byrne now comes across as a very witty, relaxed and normal person, in contrast to the image of of an eccentric young geek that you got from his interviews at the peak of Talking Heads (as well as in the movie.)   I don't think Aspergers was a condition anyone talked about back then, but if he acted in interviews now as he did as a young man, I'm pretty sure some people would wonder about it.

What I'd like someone to ask him one day is whether he really was different back then, or whether there was a large element of performance in his interviews and public persona.  (I wouldn't really care if there was - he was so interesting to watch anyway - I'd just like to know.)

And this all reminds me, I haven't visited his website for some time.    I see that (like me) his elderly mother recently died, and he has an interesting and charming post talking about her life.  Lovely.

No comments: