Monday, May 18, 2015

The muted Right

Is it just me, or does it seem to anyone else that the criticism of last week's Budget from the ABC collective (the Australian, Bolt and Catallaxy) been rather muted? 

Sure, Sinclair Davidson has been on the media quite a bit saying that the Budget is not what the economy needs, but he seems to be saying it with a resigned shrug to the effect of "that's politics for you."  I see that Henry Ergas is taking a similar line, while saying he harshest words for Bill Shorten for being "shrill" and not compromising.  I'm pretty sure Judith Sloan also took a "heavy sigh" approach, but that was it.

I don't quite understand why - have they given up on being strongly influential on the Liberal Party?

2 comments:

Not Trampis said...

I would have thought a budget where spending is as high as it was , in reality, at the height of the GFC and then relying on very high revenue elasticities would be two areas where they would be normally in a lather.

Steve said...

Exactly. In that post of Sinclair's I linked to, he mentioned being at a Liberal Party function on Budget night. Given his rhetoric at times at Catallaxy, I find it hard to understand why the Liberals would have him. (I thought they were virtually "dead to him" after the reversal on the RDA.) Then again, he also turns up on the ABC, as does Sloan, despite their disdain for the quality of their output.

All very strange.